- Ausbike Map
- Trade Directory
- New Products
- My Account
- Survey 2012
Amy Gillett Foundation
Address:Level 6, 28 Freshwater Place
Phone:02 8030 9230
Each year, an average of 37 cyclists are killed and over 9,000 are seriously injured* with thousands more incidents going unreported. The majority of these collisions involve a motor vehicle and most are preventable.
For over ten years, bike sales have exceeded car sales with in excess of 1.1 million bikes sold per year. As more and more people are turning to bike riding for recreation, health and transport benefits, it's high time an inclusive bicycling culture was embraced in Australia. Continued increased participation will actually make it safer to ride a bike. That's why we have set ambitious aims
Our Mission is for: Safe Bicycling in Australia.
Our Vision: Zero bike related fatalities
Our Strategic Objectives:
I. Work with government, authorities, bike groups and the community to reduce bike related incidents that cause injury and death
II. Work with bike organisations nationally in all sectors to bring about a progressive and galvanised bicycling community.
The Amy Gillett Foundation commenced its work in 2006. Since then, with the help of the many supporters, we have made significant progress towards safer bicycling:
- The "a Metre Matters" campaign has reached over 3 million Australians so far, helping to create increased awareness of bike riders on our roads
- Our educational programs are aimed at long-term change in awareness of, and attitudes and behaviours towards bike riders by focussing on the next generation of drivers:
o Over 50,000 learner drivers have undertaken Road Right
o Mary Safe, Amy’s mum, has delivered Remembering Amy for a Reason to over 12,000 school-aged children, a program focussing on responsible road use
- The Safe Family Research Scholarship has supported PhD student Marilyn Johnson over the past three years. Marilyn’s findings relating to interactions between motorists and bike riders are alarming, indicating the dire need for a positive approach to improving awareness, attitudes and behaviours of motorists about bike riders.
- Amy’s Rides and other recreational participation events have attracted in excess of 22,000 participants nationally
- AustCycle, our joint venture with Cycling Australia delivers Australia’s only nationally accredited bicycling skills and education program to bike riders of all ages and level of bike riding experience.
We seek to highlight the importance of being responsible every time we head out on the road whether we're on two wheels or in four, or on foot. It's not rocket science, it something we can all do starting today - because everyone deserves to arrive home safely irrespective of their chosen mode of transport.
Many individuals, companies, sporting and community groups and Government have been generous with their contribution and support of the AGF. We hope we can count on your support too.
*Australian Transport Safety Bureau – AIHW Injury Research and Statistics Series No. 38, 42 & 53 (2006, 2008 and 2009).
Product Categories and Brands: